Require delimiters to clarify context? [was: how to make decisions?]

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Require delimiters to clarify context? [was: how to make decisions?]
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 23:47:18 +0100

Keith OHara wrote Wednesday, September 05, 2012 10:44 PM

> On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 02:54:38 -0700, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> There are many places in LilyPond now where delimiters are necessary
>> to resolve certain situations but are not generally mandatory.
>
> My brain is maybe not engaging; I can't think of an example of this.  (Repeat
> alternatives ?)

Most of the examples require { .. } iff the '..' consists of more than one
element.

For example
  \relative c' f
 is valid, but
  \relative c' f f
is not.

Could this behaviour be extended so braces could be used to clarify
command/argument boundaries in more complex cases, but with the
freedom to omit them (as now) if they were unnecessary?  That would
permit writing less ambiguous code if that were required without
breaking any existing files.  But I don't know how practical this would
be.

Trevor