Re: [GLISS] differentiating pre/post/neutral commands

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: [GLISS] differentiating pre/post/neutral commands
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 01:27:55 +0200

On 2012-09-03 22:43, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

 From a user's point of view who has to write a lot of piano music,
`q' is *really* valuable.

In a score editor.  Like Emacs' LilyPond-mode.  Or Frescobaldi.
Nobody says that you should not be able to make use of shortcuts,
but that does not mean that the LilyPond language is the right place
for providing them.

No, no, and again no!  I want *readable* lilypond input.  Compare
this:

with this:

   <a c es f>8\f q q q\p
     q <a b es f>\f <a c es f>\p q |

In the first version, have you immediately seen the note change from
`c' to `b' in the fifth chord?  Only in the second version it's clear
that it is not a typo.

Chord repetition is a *central* part of piano music (and not only
there).  It really deserves a proper syntax, and I'm glad that we have
it now.

I can completely second this as a music publisher. I made an edition of Schubert's Nachthelle, where the right hand consists entirely of (mostly repeated, but also often slightly changed) 16th chords. From this experience, I really would not want to miss q as part of the lilypond syntax.

The existence of q not only made writing much easier (which could admittedly also be achieved by editor shortcuts), but the main advantage was that it made proofreading and later editing MUCH easier.

For one, as Werner already noticed, it is immediately obvious where a chord changes. And the other reason is that the repeated chords written out fully hide the rhythm, while with the 'q' notation you can see the rhythm as easily as with single notes. I had that experience with another score.

q is one of those features that make LilyPond unfeasible as a
storage format for music.

What makes lilypond unfeasiable as a storage format is that its internals change so often. In particular, we currently have the viewpoint that changes to \overrides are internals, so we don't have to care about compatibility. In other words: We care only about trivial scores, where absolutely no overrides are required. In reality, however, I have not encountered a single score without any overrides for layout purposes. Since we don't guarantee anything about \override, one can never be sure that a huge score you are writing today will still work in a few months.

Cheers,
Reinhold

Reinhold Kainhofer, address@hidden, http://www.kainhofer.com
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886