Re: [GLISS] why the hell all this fuss (was: modern-straight-flag)

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: [GLISS] why the hell all this fuss (was: modern-straight-flag)
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 12:10:19 -0300

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 7:28 AM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Has anyone ever actually engaged with any major publishers to identify the
> factors that are of interest to them in engraving software, and the features
> that Lilypond would have to implement in order to meet their requirements?

I have in the past talked with people from Henle; also, Schirmer has a
style guide that you can order as a book.

My overall impression is that they are primarily interested in:

* Strict adherence to their publisher style
* Delivering printed parts on a low budget.

Once the edition is printed, there is little reason to keep the files
around, and in some cases (due to editing PS output), it's not useful
at all. Music publishers (at least a few years ago) are still very
much focused on putting ink on dead trees in large quantities in the
most uniform and cost-efficient way possible, a business model which
makes ever less sense in the digital age.