Re: Fixes position of mensural c clef (issue 6503091)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Fixes position of mensural c clef (issue 6503091)
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 08:37:29 +0200 (CEST)

[Has your mail containing scanned clef samples reached the list?  I
haven't received it yet.]

>> Your are changing the shape without documenting this fact.  And the
>> problem is not 0.1 staff space but loosing the vertical symmetry
>> for no good reasons.
>
> My point is that there is no vertical symmetry in hand-drawn 15C
> clefs, so there is no point it trying to recreate it in 21C machine
> drawn clefs.

While I don't agree with this reasoning, this is not what I'm talking
about.

> Whoever created the original clef made it arbitrarily symmetrical,
> with no justification, so changing this needs no other
> justification.

Again, you are missing my point.  It's not about justification, but
about *documentation*.  The description of your patch *must*
*document* what you are doing, especially if you are changing the
shape.  Looking at your code changes, this can't be deduced easily.

Regarding the shape: What are the reasons for changing it?  Do you
think that an asymmetrical clef looks better, coming nearer to
hand-written originals?  Then document it.  Or is it an artifact of
your first MF tries?  Then fix it :-)

    Werner