Re: [GLISS] - alternative viewpoint

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [GLISS] - alternative viewpoint
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 14:55:18 +0200 (CEST)

>> I'm strictly against case-insensivity.
>
> And I and others are for it.  Could you state your reasoning,
> please?  I've already stated mine.

First, it is confusing.  Virtually all programming languages of today
(and lilypond's input code resembles that) are case-sensitive.

Second, as David has already mentioned, the conversion to either
lowercase or uppercase is locale dependent.

Third, the numbers of short user-definable abbreviations gets halved.
Something like

  F = \markup { "Horn in F" }

would no longer be possible because \f is already in use.

Fourth, Scheme is not case-insensitive.  Should everything starting
with `#' be case-sensitive then?  Otherwise we couldn't fully access
our own extension language.

    Werner