Re: aux files to cache compilation info

From: Ramana Kumar
Subject: Re: aux files to cache compilation info
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 13:40:33 +0100

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 7:40 AM, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
I did my first tests with this on a Mozart horn concerto that takes 42 seconds to compile.  It looks like using .aux files would shave off 2-4 seconds for the line breaking (assuming that "line breaking" is the time it takes to execute the function get_line_forces in Simple_spacer - there's obviously more to it but this is the workhorse) and 3-4 seconds for page breaking if using ly:optimal-breaking.  So even with aux files, I'm not sure if this would be a valuable enough time saver to implement.

I think that the best use of development time w/ regards to this issue would be the following:
1) Optimize the current code base (which we do anyway).
2) Create an ugly-lily.ly file.  This file would remove several engravers, change most callbacks to hardcoded values and have everything spaced on one line unless breaks were forced and would output the document to a huge page.  This could be used for people doing mockups and then removed to get the nice score.

Is option 2 usable now? Is there an option for creating a mockup fast, or would it be easy to create? I would use that, for example, for a score I want to both edit quickly and read on screen, but only occasionally render for printing on paper.