Re: [GLISS] - alternative viewpoint

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: [GLISS] - alternative viewpoint
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 16:19:43 +0200

Am 20.09.2012 11:56, schrieb David Kastrup:
David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

Within your own scores, be consistent in your choices.  How this
consistency looks, does not matter.  Within LilyPond, there is a large
consistency which elements are uppercase, and which lowercase.  The one
thing that actually gets annoying is CamelCase.  However, as a rule,
camelcase starts with lowercase letters.  With recent changes in the
lexer, it would be possible to replace the CamelCase words with dashed
words.  That would allow for things like

\slur-up \slur-down \voice-one \one-voice \voice-two and so on.  I am
personally not a big fan of CamelCase.  You would, of course, get the
same principal problem "I can't remember where and whether to put
dashes" when making use of that option.

Weeding out CamelCase would not, in itself, change the classes of things
that we use uppercase for, lowercase for, and dashes for (there would be
some overlap in classes since we _do_ have a few existing
words-with-dashes and \commands-with-dashes, but distinguishing those
classes is actually not important, unlike the pure lower/uppercase
distinction we actually use for Grob and Context names).
Just quoting this as yet another example where I offer some concrete
suggestions in a GLISS thread with nobody bothering to even reply.
It is not that I am not interested in this kind of
discussions/proposals, it is just that I have no problem
with camelCase/uppercase/lowercase stuff, so I don't need
a change here; on the other hand, if this would make it
easier for everyone, then I would not object to a
"lilypond is all lowercase" change.

I don't think that this characterization is doing justice to the
developers since it basically assumes that their main incentive is
making fun of users.

Part of the reason working on LilyPond is less rewarding than it could
be is this atmosphere of distrust, and the urge to rein in developers
who apparently have nothing better to do than damage LilyPond.
"distrust" is maybe too strong a word.  "non-involvement" may be closer
to the truth.  Regarding the GLISS discussions and proposals in that
context becoming official project policy, participation of programmers
is actively discouraged.  Goals are being set without bothering to look
at how the existing and developing code base and its underlying design
will support them.
I think that defining _goals_ can be done seriously only by
taking the underlying design, the developers etc. into account,
but _discussions_ should have any amount of freedom they
need.

[...]

"Stealthily" may seem like too strong a word, but quite a few of the
actual usability/language features are proposed and finally implemented
in the way we see in
<URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2717>.  There is
minimal feedback by few persons (this particular issue has already
gotten more feedback than usual in its first iterations and will
presumably pass into LilyPond silently once nobody can think of
something to particularly dislike).
You are right.

I can only speak for myself, but the main "problem" is that most
of the time I can spend for working on LilyPond is put into the
actual patches; the reviewing process is handled rather shabbily,
I confess.
I take a look at nearly *every* issue when I got an email notification,
but I often do not find the time to get deeper into the problem to
understand what the current proposal means or what the patch
to be review actually does. And just a quick "LGTM, but not tested"
doesn't help anybody.

If you take a look at our "Changes" file from 2.16 and take a look at
how many of those changes were the result from following through with
active and planned policy decisions rather than spontaneously done work,
it does not appear that our purported planning is connected much to what
actually gets done, and users could exercise more influence if they
actually commented on issues in the tracker accompanying actual work in
progress rather than participating in a hypothetical discussion detached
from the realities of both our code base and worker base.

One issue/review that recently profited a lot from interaction of
developers and users was
<URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2823> where
people cooperated in collecting and completing information, leading to a
much better informed approach to actual work.  If you take a look at
_who_ collected the various bits of information, however, you'll see the
usual suspects again: seasoned programmers, just that some of them acted
in the capacity of users in the context of this issue.
Do you propose that the user base should get more information
about development work?

When working on tablature features, I got an *overwhelming*
response of other users, a lot of "how about x/can you do y"
stuff which more often than not found its way into tablature.scm.

In other areas, the response was about nil.

So there is no common rule how to get people involved.

We definitely can make use of a _lot_ more of this kind of user
involvement and exchange of knowledge, interest, and inspiration, but I
don't see that the syntax discussions and decisions detached from the
actual development are facilitating this.
Well, I am still not sure about the latter.

Regards,

Marc