Re: [GLISS] non-timed or non-musical events "z" "y"

From: Benkő Pál
Subject: Re: [GLISS] non-timed or non-musical events "z" "y"
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 10:55:18 +0200

2012/9/24 Keith OHara <address@hidden>:
> Graham Percival <graham <at> percival-music.ca> writes:
>
>>   Although mathematicians and programmers are quite
>> comfortable with contains with 0 items inside them, this is not a
>> particularly intuitive concept (just look at the concept of zero
>> in the history of mathematics!)

as a mathematician and programmer I find it natural that a chord
may be empty, but I'm confused by it having zero duration -
I'd have thought that duration is the property of the chord,
not of its elements.

>> This would allow people to write either:
>>   { c'1\< <>\! }
>>   { c'1\< z\! }
>> The non-timed null event z would be inserted after the previous
>> note (the c'1) is finished.
>
> I avoided s1*0 (maybe I subconsciously felt it was cheating) but find <>
> extremely useful

+1

> and use it a lot.  <>\pp^"pizz." \repeat unfold 3 c'4

great to know!  so long I used <> only at the end of an expression, and
just recently I've struggled with such repeats.
does anybody has a similar way (not a function) of marking just the first
note with a cautionary accidental?