Re: [GLISS] basics

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: [GLISS] basics
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 14:43:41 +0200

On 26/09/12 09:19, Janek Warchoł wrote:
This is a good idea in itself, but i'm afraid we'll drown in the flood
of suggestions if we ask this question now.  Currently we want to
focus on syntax alone.

I do understand that, it's just that I think that proposals for syntax changes make more sense when considered in the broader context of the notation you want to support. I wasn't proposing asking it as a mailing-list question, more as a project that could probably be handled by relatively few people working from musical notation texts.

The reason I think that's important is because without considering the notational scope, syntax proposals can easily exclude a range of desirable features. The existing \tempo command is a good example. It makes perfect sense for simple metronome marks, but excludes a whole host of widely-used tempo change indications.

It turns out (as per David's earlier email) that it's possible to have a syntax which allows all of those possibilities, that isn't much more complex for the simple use-case, _and_ is easier on the parser. But without considering that broader scope of notation, it would be easy to say, "Hey, this is just complicating the existing syntax for the sake of the parser, why not make the parser do the work and keep it simple for users?"

I mean, some things you mentioned don't need
syntax changes, for example this

Fair point, some of these things are best characterized as limits in the interpretation of syntax rather than in syntax per se. I don't think at this point it's useful for me to respond in detail on the particular examples, though I can do so if you like.

Don't get me wrong - i agree with you that we need to check whether
Lilypond syntax can be used to express all musical notations as
effortlessly as possible.  I just mean that "this can be expressed in
Lily syntax" doesn't equal "this notation is supported by LilyPond".

Sure, but that's kind of what I was getting at -- you want to separate out the cases where the syntax is genuinely inadequate, where it's theoretically adequate but the internal data structures or engraving algorithms are inadequate, where the syntax is unnecessarily verbose, or where it's simply difficult to find out about the syntax.

That info then gives you the basis to make rigorous changes to the syntax. For example, it lets you know that proposed changes to the \tempo command don't just benefit the parser -- they also expand the range of notation it can cover.

My idea was to ask about this in fourth question:

"what do you find difficult to express in LilyPond syntax?  For
example, things that need to be done by moving something manually
instead of describing the logic behind it."

Probably the question could be formulated better.

I think the question is a good one to ask. As per my examples, you'll surely find quite a few where the real issue is not syntax but the engraving process, or simply cases where users aren't aware of the existing solutions.

But the real concern I have is that I don't think that members of the Lilypond user list are necessarily representative of the range of engraving activity that Lilypond needs to support. That's the other reason I suggested a systematic process of checking syntax/engraving support vs. a broad set of musical notation.

I don't have a copy of the Elaine Gould book you mentioned earlier, but
that, together with Keith Stone and Gardner Read might be a good starting
point.

Yes.  As i'm reading "Behind Bars", i'm noticing things that can't be
expressed in Lily syntax easily.  I will make a report about this.
I don't have other books, though.

I can send you a copy of the couple of papers Keith Stone wrote on contemporary notation -- these are a precursor to his book. They're less comprehensive but nevertheless useful.

I don't think i have time to do the engraving myself.  That's why we
should ask users, who in their collective wisdom had encountered
almost anything :)

Well, I'm not suggesting engraving whole works. Selected snippets should be adequate. Besides the obvious "contemporary composer complex stuff", there are also some surprisingly simple notations which show up here -- e.g. Ferneyhough frequently has hairpins which last until the end of the note and have a concluding dynamic value; that dynamic value falls at the end of the hairpin rather than the beginning of the subsequent note (if you get me).

See e.g.
http://soundandmusic.org/thecollection/files/scores/28724w.pdf in for example bar 4, Violin 3 (although there are plenty of other examples in the score).

That seems to me a notation for which there genuinely isn't a solution in Lilypond syntax or internals, although you could probably fake it with careful use of parallel space notation.