Re: Issue 2717: Implement \single, \omit and \hide (issue 6495135)

From: dak
Subject: Re: Issue 2717: Implement \single, \omit and \hide (issue 6495135)
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 13:32:19 +0000

Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> writes:

On 26/09/2012 11:26, address@hidden wrote:
\once does something entirely different.  It does not turn an
override
into a tweak but rather marks it at being active only at the current
timestep.  \once applies at a single time, \single applies on a
single
item.

To me as a user, \once\override is used to change the next note (or
items attached to it) and \single\tweak is used to change the next
item.

Both are only roughly equivalent when there is only one item per
timestep.  \once\override affects _everything_ happening at the same
time.  Your complaint amounts to "I don't want to know about the
difference between an override and a tweak", but that's not a problem
that can be cured by not providing a method of converting one into the
other.

That \once\override applies to the next timestep, and the
following note incidentally happens at that timestep is an internal
detail when I'm writing a score.

 From a developer's POV there is a different concept involved, but I
doubt that a normal user really cares about this.

Shrug.  Feel free to ignore the distinction until things break for you,
but it is not like _I_ am responsible for it merely because I provide an
additional tool making it easier to deal with that difference.

To me it's basically the same as the \set / \override distinction. It
might be a different concept to anyone who knows the internals, but to
a user both are used to change the default.

Code reviews are not the place for _unrelated_ LilyPond-bashing.  I get
blamed for enough things every day without the need to invent extra
causes.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6495135/