Re: Adds tick mark to scripts (issue 6568055)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Adds tick mark to scripts (issue 6568055)
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 15:12:08 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Janek Warchoł" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2012 3:09 PM

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Phil Holmes <address@hidden> wrote:
This is clear, but I've had a think about this and I don't agree.  The
natural reference point of the tick is its bottom, not the middle of the
tick, which is a somewhat arbitrary point based on the aesthetics of the
line widths chosen - if you're going to place the glyph, you'd always do it with reference to its lowest extent. So I'm happy to change the horizontal, but don't propose to change the vertical spacing, except to get rid of the
blank space.

Ah, but if you do what i propose, you enable the user to choose easily
how he wants to align the mark.  He can either align it to the bottom
edge, or to the "optical center".  If you keep the "vertical
situation" as is, the user will be able to easily align to the bottom
only.

What i suggest is similar to what we have in breve notehead case, only
in different axis: we have the ability to align breve note both to its
very left edge, and its reference point (which is on the left edge of
the oval, i.e. without the lines):

{ c''_\markup { \musicglyph #"noteheads.sM1double" } }

{ \override TextScript #'self-alignment-X = #LEFT
 c''_\markup { \musicglyph #"noteheads.sM1double" } }

Does this convince you?

cheers,
Janek

No - sorry. I can't envisage any situation where anyone would want to align to the inside bend of a tick mark.

--
Phil Holmes