Re: Syntactical question [was: Re: Call for help with bar lines]

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Syntactical question [was: Re: Call for help with bar lines]
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 18:47:01 +0200

Am 29.09.2012 18:39, schrieb Laura Conrad:
"David" == David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
     >> \bar "" inserts an empty stencil, so the padding around the
     >> (invisible) bar line is preserved.

     David> Yes, I understood that.  But what do we need that for?

For the Renaissance music I transcribe, the composers weren't thinking
in bar lines, so it's  both unhelpful and unaesthetic to have, for
instance, a run of quarter notes interrupted by the extra space where
the non-existent barlines would be if they existed.

The way I finally figured out how to do this with the old bar line
interface was that instead of saying that the default bar type was
either empty or "", I leave the default bar type, and make it
transparent, and then remove the padding.  But I never figured out how
to remove the padding from an empty or null bar line.

I hope that the new interface both makes more sense than the old one,
and still allows me to set barless music without ugly gaps where the bar
lines aren't.
Hmmm - with the new interface, nonexistent bar lines are not
supported (yet), but I think that \bar #f or \defaultBarType = ##f
*could* be made to work.

On the other hand, why don't you just remove the Bar_engraver
when you don't need it at all?
I had not typeset music without bars so far, but this seems to me
to be the easiest way to handle such situations.

Regards,

Marc