Re: Patch-testing-problem

From: James
Subject: Re: Patch-testing-problem
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 15:30:50 +0100

Thomas,

On 30 September 2012 15:16, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2012/9/29 Keith OHara <address@hidden>:
>> Thomas Morley <thomasmorley65 <at> googlemail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I wanted to test Marc's bar-line-patch somewhat closer, but I have a
>>> problem, not knowing what to do.
>>>
>>>  git apply --index 0001-bar-line.patch
>>>
>>> error: patch failed:
>>> Documentation/snippets/adding-orchestral-cues-to-a-vocal-score.ly:4
>>> error: Documentation/snippets/adding-orchestral-cues-to-a-vocal-score.ly:
>>> patch does not apply
>>
>> "patch does not apply" means that the code you have as a starting point is
>> significantly different from the starting point of the patch.
>>
>> Phil ran an LSR update recently, which changes Documentation/snippets/*
>> Marc's patch also changes many of those same files.  Phil's  LSR update was
>> in commit 5c42908f1c8d0a5c1d88851a2d793ca55476612c so you can go back to the
>> state just before,
>>        git checkout 5c42908f^
>> and then apply Marc's patch.
>>
>> Marc will probably rebase his patch pretty soon and repost it so that the
>> diff applies to the codebase after the LSR update.

> Hi Keith,
>
> thanks for your advice.
> After
>   git checkout 5c42908f^
> I ran `make' and `make test-baseline' and was able to apply Marc's
> patch successfully. :)
> After doing that I ran a new `make'.
>
> And a new error arises after trying to do `make check'
>
> Terminal returns:
>
>  %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> [ ... ]
> Child returned 1
> Error ignored by lilylib
> Error trapped by lilypond-book
>
> Please see
> /home/harm/lilypond-git/build/out/lybook-testdb/snippet-names--154320194.log
>
> make[2]: *** [out-test/collated-files.texi] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/harm/lilypond-git/build/input/regression'
> make[1]: *** [local-test] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/harm/lilypond-git/build/input/regression'
> make: *** [test] Error 2
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> Looking at:
>  /home/harm/lilypond-git/build/out/lybook-testdb/snippet-names--154320194.log
>
> The file contains nothing else than:
> GNU LilyPond 2.17.4
>

> Obviously I did sth wrong and again I've no clue what and how to proceed.

Why do you think you did something wrong?

That was exactly what I got when I tested the patch originally.

You need to find the problem of why it failed to compile.

See

http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2790#c33

Did you get the same problem?

> Do you have another hint?
>
> Sorry, to ask again and again stupid questions, but on my own, I can
> see only two alternatives:
> Deleting all /Documantation/snippets from the patch and then apply it
> to current master or to stop any reviewing work as far as
> /Documentation/snippets are concerned in any way.

I don't really understand this, I assume you mean just to troubleshoot
yourself on your own local git.

James