Re: [talk] why it'd be great to have web interface for submittingsimple

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: [talk] why it'd be great to have web interface for submittingsimple doc patches
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 16:21:47 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Rushton Wakeling" <address@hidden>
To: "James" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2012 4:10 PM

On 10/06/2012 04:46 PM, James wrote:
Says someone who evidently has never built, submitted or tested 'doc'
patches for LP.

Er ... yes, I have. Actually my objections to having to use git-cl were based on my experience of trying to submit a simple, small doc patch that I'd built and tested. It felt a rather hefty and complicated amount of stuff to do compared to simply emailing someone a set of patches, or submitting a merge request on GitHub.

I think you perception of what we do and why is skewed.

Well, I can see that it's important to test that doc patches _build_ OK, but I don't see how the code test suite is relevant to documentation. But I'm sorry if I've overlooked something here.

Unfortunately, testing that docs compile cleanly takes about 15 times as long as code, so it's not for the underpowered or faint hearted. Used to be 2 3/4 hours on my virtual machine.

--
Phil Holmes