Re: LilyPond 2.17.4 released

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.17.4 released
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 12:31:11 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2012 12:22 PM

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

"it is strongly recommended that only experienced users try working with
this release.  Everyone else is encouraged to use the stable 2.16
version instead."

Something like that.

"This version has not had extensive testing, and so only users who are
willing to risk crashes or unexpected behaviour should download and
install it.  Those who require a stable version should continue to use
the 2.16 version."

?

Well, our stable versions don't necessarily have been heavily tested,
either.  I'd rephrase the first two sentences as

I'd argue that they have. We have a number of release candidates that we specifically request people to download and test. We then have a period of grace before we release stable. It's probably better tested than much commercial software. We just can't _prove_ it.

This version contains work in progress.  Only users who are prepared to
deal with crashes or unexpected ...

Phil Holmes