Re: LilyPond 2.17.4 released

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.17.4 released
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 14:25:29 +0200

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup writes:
>
>> Negative connotation.  But reversed (see below) it is not actually that
>> bad.
>>
>> "it is strongly recommended that only experienced users try working with
>> this release.  Everyone else is encouraged to use the stable 2.16
>> version instead."
>>
>> Something like that.
>
> Why not simply state the case.  What are the reasons to recommend only
> experienced users, why boilerplately encourage 2.16?
>
> Probably:
>   * we don't want people inadvertently upgrading
>   * we don't want clueless bug reports: we don't want to answer them
>     and we don't want to ignore them
>   * we don't want users who need a new feature try this for production
>     and in the moment of printing find out something basic broken
>   * we don't want users to ruin their lilypond setup and asking for
>     help how to downgrade

We don't want people to install what amounts to a snapshot of
development activity in mixed quality and stick with it for years and
use it for setting up a school computer pool.

> LilyPond 2.17.x, aka the my-hickup-or-yours?-release.
>
> This is a development release.  As such, it has not had [XXX testing or
> stabilation/wide user testing ] so we cannot give any guarantees and we
> cannot give any user support.
>
> Clueful and accurate bug reports are highly valued, however, this
> means that you must be actively tracking development and reading the
> bug-lilypond list.  If you are not, you are invited to do so, see
> COMMUNITY.

I don't like the connotations of "Clueful" here.  And it should be
sufficient to carefully read the bug reporting instructions.