Re: Context.Grob considered as symbol list

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Context.Grob considered as symbol list
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 16:33:25 +0200

Ok, here are a few followup thoughts.  One: response to the on-list
posting of the patches, intended to be more useful for per-patch review,
has resulted in zero followups.

I'll put out the next iteration to the lilypond-auto list for that
reason, at least I'll attempt doing so (the list page sounds like
postings not made by bots might get auto-grounded).  Barring that, again
on the developer list.

I've made a much more radical patch converting all \override/\revert to
use the now available syntax.  Now I've hit another snag: \tweak.

\tweak has an optional grob argument (now a string) situated before its
target symbol.  This obviously won't survive upon converting the second
argument to string as well.  What this means is that
\tweak Accidental #'color #red cis
will have to get converted to
\tweak Accidental.color #red cis
in order to preserve the optional character of Accidental.  Contrasting
this with
\override Accidental color #red or
\override Voice.Accidental color #red

This is a bit unsatisfactory.  Basically, the optional component is
separated by a period.  While that is reasonably understandable, the
difference in syntax is a bit of a nuisance.  Also, \override syntax is
backwards compatible, the grob-augmented \tweak syntax (granted, just
available since 2.16) is not.

Sigh.