digits in variable names: current state of things.

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: digits in variable names: current state of things.
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 11:24:47 +0100

Hi,

from what i see there are two concurrent proposals about introducing digits in variable names:
http://codereview.appspot.com/6778055/ by David
http://codereview.appspot.com/6493072/ by Keith

i'm a bit confused - i'm not sure wheter these patches are mutually exclusive or not.
Anyway, here's my general opinion (it's more about the UI than actual code):
- having to enclose identifiers in quotation marks feels more natural to me than using some special sign between letters and digits (i.e. i like \"violin1" better than \violin+1 (or \violin.1)),
- "parser simplicity" is most important to me.  In other words, i vote for a solution that fits smoothly with other syntax constructs, introduces as few exceptions as possible, doesn't produce surprising/confusing results, etc.

Of course it would be great if

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 7:05 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...] \violin1, \violin 1, \violin $(1+1) [would] all work, [...]

however, my impression from previous discussions was that doing so would mean creating exceptions in the parser, ambiguous syntax and making some other interesting stuff impossible.
So, i'm a bit lost...

Janek