Re: Further problems with makeLSR

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Further problems with makeLSR
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 17:55:09 +0100

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Is that rule definitely in master?
>>
>> It definitely is.  Iff the convert-ly target is 2.17.6 or greater, the
>> rule should be triggered.
>>
>>> MakeLSR runs convert-ly and therefore should come up with the same
>>> change that you produced.
>>
>> So we need to figure out why it doesn't.  Does it run the wrong version
>> of convert-ly?
>
> It says it's running 2.17.6 - although that could cover a multitude of
> revisions.  I'm using latest git master.  Is the rule definitely in
> master?

Again: It definitely is.  Iff the convert-ly target is 2.17.6 or
greater, the rule should be triggered.

>>> Human beings have to move all the snippets from snippets/new once they
>>> work with the current version of the LSR.  A few 10s is achievable.
>>> More than that risks no-one having the incentive to do the drudge.
>>
>> But they won't work with versions of the LSR previous to 2.17.6.
>
> They don't need to.

There are snippets in the LSR, and there are snippets in the LilyPond
documentation.  When you import the LSR versions, they will overwrite,
as far as I understand, anything not visible in "snippets/new".

Are you very much sure that the rules for 2.17.6 are triggered?  2.17.6
has not yet been released.

> Snippets in the LSR have to work with the current version of lily that
> the LSR runs - currently 2.14, IIRC.  If they can be updated by
> convert-ly, there's no need for them in snippets/new.

But apparently that process does not work since you report that the
snippets which have been converted to 2.17.6 via convert-ly, get
overwritten by LSR snippets which have been converted to 2.16.0 only.