Re: Design flaw in Rest_collision

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Design flaw in Rest_collision
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 09:45:40 +0100

"address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:

>> Do the different rest glyphs actually have different height?  Would it
>> be possible to stipulate that they are not supposed to, and just let the
>> code for rest height in general return the height of the standard rest
>> glyph without bothering to check the on-staffiness?
>
> I wanna say that they do (it'd be a difference of half a ledger line)
> but I could be wrong.  I know nothing about metafont - someone more
> competent than I would have to check.

Well, there is the problem that staff lines may be reconfigured in
thickness, but "apart from that (TM)", it would seem to me like counting
the half ledger line into the glyph height for the glyph intended to be
used on a staff line would not seem to cause problems, would it?  Or
would it shift material around that is designed to align to staff lines
and thus is not supposed to check for collisions with them for the sake
of placement?