Re: Adds documentation for optional octavation clef syntax (issue 683004

From: ArnoldTheresius
Subject: Re: Adds documentation for optional octavation clef syntax (issue 6830043)
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 03:57:10 -0800 (PST)

David Kastrup wrote
> Janek Warchoł <

> janek.lilypond@

> > writes:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Marc Hohl <

> marc@

> > wrote:
>>>
>>> Am 08.11.2012 09:22, schrieb

> janek.lilypond@

> :

>> Anyway, i recommend rewording the description to make it
>> interpretation-independent, i.e. something like "to put brackets or
>> parentheses around octavation, just use brackets/parentheses in the
>> code" without explaining what that could mean musically.
>
> I don't see that we can get around defining what it should mean
> musically when we allow for absolute pitch entry and generate Midi.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

The frequent use of the "treble_(8)" clef I know is in choir notation.
When soprano/women ("treble") and tenor/men ("treble_8") have to sing "quasi
unisono" (exactly this one octave difference which the clefs show) these
staves often are "merged together", using the "treble_(8)" clef.
The "technically most simple method" seems to me, lilypond handles the
"treble_(8)" clef equivalent to the "treble_8" clef (only the printed symbol
differs). Then, of course, the user has to add the "purged" soprano staff
for MIDI output.
In more complex situations the editor (or composer) needs to write a note,
how to the "...(8)" clef should be understood.

I hope, this information may help in this discussion,
ArnoldTheresius