Re: markup-commands rest-by-number and rest (issue 6850073)

From: thomasmorley65
Subject: Re: markup-commands rest-by-number and rest (issue 6850073)
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 21:11:53 +0000

On 2012/11/26 15:09:58, benko.pal wrote:
> So I'd suggest not treating the '-' at all (to make things not more
> confusing than they already are) and letting the font backend sort
> things out.

I concur.

Ok, I'll try.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6850073/diff/6004/scm/define-markup-commands.scm
File scm/define-markup-commands.scm (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/6850073/diff/6004/scm/define-markup-commands.scm#newcode3251
scm/define-markup-commands.scm:3251: (or multi-measure-rest (< log
1)))
there are no Petrucci rest glyphs at all; use mensural without any
further
condition.  or don't even allow petrucci as style for these markups.

Well, writing this conditions I tried to orientate myself on
`select-head-glyph´ from output-lib.scm
`select-head-glyph´ returns note-head-glyphs for some styles without
defined note-head-glyphs as well. Mostly if (< log 1)
So I tried to transfer this behaviour to rests.

Did you had a look on the compiled output of the new reg-tests?
This output is what I tried to achieve.
You'll see that for some styles mensural- or neomensural-glyphes are
taken, others are defaulting.

The main question is:
If there are no defined glyphs for a specific style,
should I try to select others (currently tried)
or
should I return default-glyphs (I suspect this would be much easier)?

Opinions?

http://codereview.appspot.com/6850073/diff/6004/scm/define-markup-commands.scm#newcode3299
scm/define-markup-commands.scm:3299: ;; If there is a ledger, move the
dots in
X-direction to avoid collision.
is this comment true?  I can't see how the condition below checks for
ledger.

You're right, the comment is misleading.
I selected ledgered glyphs for whole and half rests for all styles,
apart from the listed ones.
Depending on the decision which glyphs are taken (see above), I'll
change the comment and/or the code.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6850073/diff/6004/scm/define-markup-commands.scm#newcode3305
scm/define-markup-commands.scm:3305: (and (= log 1) (equal? style
'petrucci))))
this check looks fishy, as there are no Petrucci-style rest glyphs.

Same problem as above:
Which glyph to take, if there's none for the specified style.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6850073/