Re: Add dead-is-alive boolean property to Hara_kiri_group_spanner (issue

From: dak
Subject: Re: Add dead-is-alive boolean property to Hara_kiri_group_spanner (issue 6948058)
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 08:09:38 +0000

address@hidden writes:

On 2012/12/15 21:32:41, dak wrote:
The "dead-is-alive"-thing had the
advantage that even though I did not understand what I am
working with, it was easy to make it behave as advertised.

"This reverses the decisions that the Hara_kiri_engraver makes."

This engraver removes empty staves, so reversing its decisions results
in printing staves only when empty.

What you are saying now is that it is not really useful.

Maybe some perverse re-definition of 'empty' in user input could
profitably use the dead-is-alive behavior, but I could not find a way
to do so.

Well, the idea was to use this in pairs of contexts with otherwise
identical harakiri conditions, and give only one of them the
dead-is-alive flag.  So one context pops up only when the other doesn't.

I had the idea of using this with the Keep_alive_together engraver in
order to make the conditions identical by force (and that is mentioned
in the doc strings), but that is not going to work since the
Keep_alive_together engraver will, if it decides to kill, just kill both
contexts without asking again.

But if contents and keepAliveInterfaces are essentially identical, the
scheme should be able to work, shouldn't it?

https://codereview.appspot.com/6948058/