Re: Introducing two new markup-commands: draw-dashed-line and draw-dotte

From: thomasmorley65
Subject: Re: Introducing two new markup-commands: draw-dashed-line and draw-dotted-line. (issue 7029045)
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 00:07:12 +0000

On 2012/12/30 16:42:56, dak wrote:
On 2012/12/30 16:30:45, J_lowe wrote:
> Excuse my ignorance but is the \xxx-xxx-xxx ok in terms of
consistency of name
> of command and/or is 'draw' redundant?

\line arranges a text line, \draw-line draws an actual line, so the
name choice
seems ok.  Another possibility would be to use properties to specify
dotting/dashing and just use \draw-line (or \draw-circle and so on).

I thought about extending \draw-line with a 'style-property.
But in extreme cases you would have to write:

\markup {
  \override #'(style . dashed)
  \override #'(on . 0.5)
  \override #'(off . 0.2)
  \override #'(thickness . 2)
  \draw-line #'(4 . 1)
}

This seems a bit overlaoded to me. Therefore I decided to define
separate markup-commands.
Ok, this will reduce the needed \overrides only by one, but I think any
\override less would be nice.

And I'm thinking about writing additional commands for zigzag- and
trill-style lines...

After all,
lines are not the only things that might be desirable to do with a
different
line style.

Do you have anything particular in mind?

https://codereview.appspot.com/7029045/