Re: [translations] Re: How to extract PDF of translated documentation?

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: [translations] Re: How to extract PDF of translated documentation?
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 20:43:37 +0100

2013/1/14 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> As you aptly observed, that's the best you yourself can barely manage
> for Spanish.  But I can't believe you to be the only LilyPond user
> natively speaking Spanish.  The main qualification we should be
> requiring from translators and translation revisors is good command of
> language.  Not ability to juggle with git and other technical stuff.

> So how can we move in a direction where translation work is less
> technically challenging?  I believe that with regard to the program
> string translation (gettext, po, pot files or whatever), there is some
> sort of process that detaches the language teams from the technical
> details.

Yes, contributing to translations is currently very very technically
challenging.

The process you mention is updating a .po file with kbabel,
gtranslator (gnome), poedit (windows) or the po-mode of emacs. Yes, it
makes translating easy for everyone. It is based on strings: you jump
to the next fuzzy or untranslated string, translate it, save the file,
send the file, done. You have contributed one string.

> Maybe we can move more in that direction for the manual texts as well?

If we could convert a texinfo manual in a template for po files (a
.pot), then translators should only have to maintain a po file in an
easy way. Here ends my understading of gettext.
--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com