Re: Caches the interior skylines of vertical axis groups and systems. (i

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Caches the interior skylines of vertical axis groups and systems. (issue 7185044)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 12:56:12 +0100

On 27 janv. 2013, at 11:51, address@hidden wrote:

"address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:

Maybe it's not worth it to do all this intermediate stuff...you're
right that it takes time for others to understand (and even for me to
understand) as I'm working towards this goal.  The project is even
more ambitious as the last skyline one in terms of the amount of code
that will be touched, so it may be difficult for people to understand
the utility of things until I have a final working vertical spacing
version of LilyPond.  The only problem is that there will be a branch
that is significantly different from staging that I won't be able to
refactor into separate commits without a heapload of work.  But it
will avoid people unnecessary review of intermediary steps.

Mike, try the following: don't write code.  Only write comments.  Those
comments explain what the code will accomplish (not _how_ it
accomplishes that), and how it fits together with other code.  Debug the
comments.  Make sure that the plan laid out in those comments is
coherent.  Go through the various cases and scenarios.

Hey David,

I see the value of this approach - in music, I know a lot of composers that work this way.  I do not work this way, not because I have any objection to it, but because that's not how my brain is wired.  I have tried and it gets me nowhere.  I can only grasp how things are organized by trying, failing, and mostly writing code.  So, I'm ok with your suggestion to write code and then remove it or annotate it with comments, but I have to write the code first.  Otherwise I won't fully understand what's going on.  For a sketch of where I'm going, you can read over the response I sent Keith.  Above and beyond that level of precision (which is rather broad), I cannot go into more detail without working through the problem first.

Cheers,
MS