Re: GUB/git help, please

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: GUB/git help, please
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 12:23:03 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
To: "Devel" <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2013 10:56 AM
Subject: GUB/git help, please

The problems with getting GUB to run last night meant I didn't have time to update VERSION and news in staging before turning in for the night. As a result, staging is now ahead of release/unstable by one commit.

The CG tells me to do the following:

git fetch
git checkout origin/staging
git merge origin/release/unstable

Then edit VERSION, etc., and push back to staging. Will this work in the presence of the extra commit in staging? Or should I cherry pick release/unstable into staging?

Needed to get on with the upload, so I went ahead and did this, checking with gitk that it looked sensible before pushing to staging. It seemed OK, so it's now pushed and moved into master with patchy. The only problem with this method is that it seems to show my fix to cs.po twice in git.

It would seem that the best way to proceed if we have this problem in future (i.e. something in master that prevents GUB from running, but not a normal build) is to fix the problem in release/unstable only, and get it into staging with the merge of release/unstable into staging. Does this seem correct?

--
Phil Holmes