Make doc; create-weblinks and translations

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Make doc; create-weblinks and translations
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 15:32:40 -0000

I note that 'make doc -s' is again producing large quantities of output. The
majority of this appears to come from Julien's fix to throw an error from
create-weblinks-itexi.py when a desired translation is not found.

See http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2899

When this was first implemented, there was a huge output of lines like this:

create-weblinks-itexi: warning: [cs]: translation missing for: Doc tarball for create-weblinks-itexi: warning: [it]: translation missing for: Music glossary

Around 4-5000 lines of warnings. Since then, Federico has added Italian translations:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=commitdiff;h=8732bf4dacbbc67c4fd05c2613bb09a23f268102

However, two problems continue to exist:

1. No Czech translations means lots of error messages (which could obscure ones
we actually want to see, in order to correct them).

2. The use of the translations themselves is patchy.  For example, go to

http://www.lilypond.org/development.es.html

and scroll down to "Pruebas de regresiĆ³n".  You'll see that the development
versions use the translations, but the stable ones don't. Similar issues affect
many of the other languages - just using Spanish as an example.

I plan to create a patch that will:

a) Restore the -cs pages to use -en (default) "translations" thus getting rid of
the errors.

b) Work my way through the other languages to ensure that translations that are
available are actually used.

I'm flagging this in advance in case anyone wants to pre-empt my plan for the -cs pages by providing translations - if anyone has the language skills but doesn't
want to tackle LilyPond development, I can supply a list of words to be
translated and I will handle the updates to the scripts. I'm also mentioning it in case it affects the other translators. I believe I will only be editing
community.itexi.

--
Phil Holmes