Re: Make documentation reflect presence of \tuplet (issue 7220052)

From: dak
Subject: Re: Make documentation reflect presence of \tuplet (issue 7220052)
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 10:41:50 +0000

On 2013/01/29 17:25:19, Keith wrote:

https://codereview.appspot.com/7220052/diff/4001/Documentation/learning/common-notation.itely#newcode506
Documentation/learning/common-notation.itely:506: ratio of the number
of notes
to play in relation to the nominal
"... The fraction is the number of notes in the tuplet over the number
that
would normally fill the duration of the tuplet. For triplets, ..."

We have a fundamental difference in our terminology.

For you, a triplet consists of three notes.  For me, a triplet consists
of a single note, three of which make up a triplet group.  I have
checked our glossary, and while there is no explicit explanation,
"triplets", "quadruplets" etc are used as a label for a single triplet
or quadruplet group, making it more likely match my usage of the word.
The Wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuplet oscillates
between both uses, mathematically of course a triplet is a group.

The German word is "Triole" and thus made from a different word stem, so
guessing from the equivalence between Germanic languages might be
strained.

Still, for now I am going with the usage for which I see a vague
preference in the glossary.  Also note that for something like
\tuplet 3/2 { c4 c8 }, one still talks about triplets, but only two
notes are actually present.

https://codereview.appspot.com/7220052/