Re: i'm back - hopefully.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: i'm back - hopefully.
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 02:39:35 +0100

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> i hope to get back to lilypond hacking now.  I miss it a lot...

I know how that feels, looking at my backlog.  Unfortunately I have a
day job which is, uh, LilyPond hacking, and it is leaving me with not
enough time to do LilyPond hacking.

> Quite frankly, i have to say that you are awesome people :)

It is actually sobering how many of those doing serious work on LilyPond
(or are financing my work) state that they don't find much time actually
_using_ LilyPond.  There is an Open Source slogan "scratching one's
itch", but a lot of people here are rather scratching other people's
itches.  So yes, these lists carry a veritable collection of
awesomeness.

> Any particular thing that i should know about?  I don't see any
> "developer summaries" to inform myself, unfortunately, so feel free to
> post links to tracker issues and thread subjects.

Well, you get the "Investors' reports" from my work (I'd have pointed to
the LilyPond Report for them, but there has been a dearth of them in the
last half year).  The banter in there covers some highlights though
obviously with too much of a focus on my own work.

We still have a stream of skyline-related issue reports that spell
somewhat dubious prospects for either the release date of 2.18 or its
expected stability.  In the case of user space upheavals, \tuplet has
appeared finally in a way similar to that of the September (?)
discussions, Guile-2 work is progressing at snail's pace (but not
entirely stopped), \transposition is just getting a semantics change
heatedly discussed and possibly affecting your Midi output, depending on
how you chose with \transposition's previously strange semantics when
further transposed.  Issue reports are streaming in at an insane pace;
one has to admire the bug squad for keeping up with it.  As a developer,
you can cherry-pick among oodles of issues and never get bored.  Or
finished.