Re: Patch meister position still vacant!!!

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Patch meister position still vacant!!!
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 09:26:45 +0100

James <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> On 11 February 2013 14:42, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>     Hi, the duties of the Patch meister are outlined in
>
> <URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/contributor/patch-handling>.
>
> I can do this.  [...]
>
> Anyway, assuming that no one else offers, I'll take a look and make a
> start of it on Wednesday.

I certainly think you a good fit for that position.  The problem is that
you are a good fit for a _lot_ of positions, and, for example, make very
good and thorough manual patch reviews.  There is a limit to the amount
of stuff one person can hope to do without getting exhausted, so it
would make excellent sense if we got a few replacements to try their
hands at doing the manual patch reviews.

This requires a high-powered computer (at least when we are talking also
doing the DOC checks) and a working environment for building LilyPond
(we have a virtual Ubuntu image that can be used for that purpose on the
major operating systems in use I believe).  And of course, the
willingness to run the checks in the first place.

If "high-powered" is not really that much of an option, the reviews can
omit the DOC checks (cuts computation time to 1/4 or so).  Those are
caught at the "staging" stage, at the cost of some manual cleanup work.