Reimplement figuremode with "links" to notes for correct transposition?

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Reimplement figuremode with "links" to notes for correct transposition?
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 00:31:10 +0100

On 12 February 2013 12:40, Joseph Rushton Wakeling
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 02/12/2013 03:05 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
>>
>> The advantage LilyPond has over the hand engraver is that it does not
>> need to say "I don't make mistakes".  The hand engraver puts down the
>> staff lines, and short of throwing the plate(s) away and starting over,
>> the layout has to fit those lines, and the page breaks have to match
>> those bars in eternity.  And "give me that transposed for Bb" is an
>> inexpensive option, as well as "can you play that for me?".
>

> That's something of a dangerous assumption.  Consider this little snippet,
> where a trill-with-accidental is included according to the instructions on
> articulations and ornamentations:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/expressive-marks-attached-to-notes#articulations-and-ornamentations

Speaking of accidentals not correctly handled when using transposition:
the current implementation of figured bass in LilyPond is only
graphical (contrary to chords/chordmode).

It is possible to add accidentals to the figures with + ! -, but since
figuremode is not (currently) somehow "linked" to notes, these
accidentals are not correctly modified when the piece is transposed.

I do not see how one could do that, nor if this "feature" is really
asked/needed a lot, the amount of work or possible compatibility breaks,
hence before submitting a feature request to bug-lilypond, I would like
to know your thoughts about this.

Cheers,
Xavier

--