Re: Coding practices

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Coding practices
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 06:55:25 +0100

Francisco Vila <address@hidden> writes:

> 2013/2/15 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>> If you want an example of reasonable documenting and coding practice,
>> take tex.web (it is public domain), run it through weave and pdftex and
>> peruse significant extracts of the resulting PDF.
>
> Couldn't resist. "Literate programming", they call it, right?

The particular typesettable style with rearrangement of code blocks for
Pascal.  Less monolithic languages can achieve similar rearrangement
reasonably well by other means.  But the exact manner of how comments
and expositions are attached to the source code is not all that
relevant; I was more referring to the scope, density and style of
commenting.

> Being in the public domain, it surprises me how restrictively
> copyrighted it is wrt. modifying.

Modifications must not be called "TeX", a trademarked term.  That's
all.  We got modifications like eTeX, PDFTeX, Omega, Alpha, LuaTeX,
XeTeX...  In contrast to usual trademark hounders, the mere presence of
the TeX graphic letter sequence in a derived work does not trigger the
wrath of the AMS as trademark owner.