Re: Issue 3174: Implement \accidental markup and \pitched command for tr

From: ArnoldTheresius
Subject: Re: Issue 3174: Implement \accidental markup and \pitched command for transposable accidental markups (issue 7323060)
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 00:00:38 -0800 (PST)

Thomas Morley wrote
> On 2013/02/14 09:21:07, dak wrote:
>
>> So the message is "we can do", but we still need to figure out _what_
>> we can do.  Proposals?
>
> Well, currently I don't have a good idea.
>
> Though, some time ago Arnold posted his approach on -user:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2012-06/msg00278.html
> direct link to his code:
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p33991423/pitchedArticulations.ly
>
> Perhaps this might be useful, I hadn't a closer look, though.
>
> https://codereview.appspot.com/7323060/

I'll try to collect the information:

The 'pitched articulation' is:
- add the accidental of a pitch above the articulation symbol
 and or
- ... below the articulation smybol

This (these) pitch(es) may be defined by:
- entering the pitch
- specifying the interval from the ornamented note (notehead)
most common usage is: a minor or major second above or below a single tone,
not assigned to a chord.
only "delayed turn / reverseturn" is usually placed on a skip, where no
pitch is available to apply the interval.

Formatting:
- the accidental is usually some smaller in size than the articulation is.
- Mostly (prall, mordent, turn, reverseturn) the accidentals are
horizontally centered, vertically as close as the extent allows.
- for the trill two positions are suitable:
  - horizontally right aligned, vertically the accidental close above the
'r' of the 'tr', thus overlapping into the 'tr' symbol extent
  - horizontally appended to the right of the 'tr' symbol, the accidental is
raised by some value
The best method for this combining of the glyphs seem to be done by a
stencil function.

Additional:
- It may be required in some situation to put some parentheses (or brackets
to indicate an editorial note) around the added accidentals.

Syntax for the user to enter:
- commands like \majorPrall, \minorPrall, \majorMordent, \majorMinorTurn,
\minorNeutralReverseturn (which define the offset interval) seem (to me) to
be the most simple way to specify those pitched articulations, whenever they
are aligned to exactly one note.
- In other situations (e.g. delayed turn, quarter tone trill) it may be the
best to enter the pitch(es) manually. One possible style might be
'\pitchedArticulation [pitch-up] [pitch-down] [articulation symbol]', where
pitch-up and pitch-down may also be the locial value 'false' to indicate 'no
articulation to put here'.

I hope, this helps.
ArnoldTheresius