Re: Harmonize point-and-click information for #xxx and $xxx (issue 75010

From: dak
Subject: Re: Harmonize point-and-click information for #xxx and $xxx (issue 7501046)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 08:11:52 +0000

On 2013/03/13 07:03:16, janek wrote:
On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 7:06 AM,  <mailto:address@hidden> wrote:
> On 2013/03/12 22:12:34, janek wrote:
>>
>> As usual, i have a dumb question about the commit message.
>> What is the relation of \xxx to #xxx and $xxx?
>> I can't quite grok the commit message :/
>
> Uh, \xxx is something starting with a backslash, $xxx is something
> starting with a dollar sign, #xxx is something starting with a hash
> mark.  I have trouble understanding your trouble.

My trouble is that you wrote a sentence about $xxx and #xxx and then
"however, \xxx ..." and i don't know how to relate these parts of the
mammals.  However, prices of bus tickets have dropped".

We are talking about "Both #xxx and $xxx retain any preexisting origin
information when producing a music expression.  However, \xxx always
receives the origin information pertaining to the current location
even if previous point-and-click information exists."

That's rather "Cows and dogs give birth.  However, fishes lay eggs."

I don't get it.  Seriously.  All of $, #, and \ are lexical elements
combining with something following behind them (and all can take an
identifier) and producing an expression or a copy of it.  In the case
of music, this expression carries point-and-click information.  I
describe how this point-and-click information is generated in each of
the given cases.  $xxx and #xxx behave the same, and that is different
when compared to \xxx.

It's quite possible that the description is perfectly ok and i'm
just dumb/tired, but then i guess it wouldn't hurt to make it a bit
simpler.  Could you change it so that it more explicitely says what
was the situation before commit and what it is after?

The situation before the commit was rather muddled, mostly not
generating any point-and-click information for # and overwriting any
existing information for $ and \.  It was not as much designed as a
consequence of what (single) code location the point-and-click stuff
happened to get placed with.

I don't see that describing that is going to make things clearer since
this patch replaces a non-designed behavior with a designed one.

https://codereview.appspot.com/7501046/