Re: alignment of unattached lyrics - opinions needed

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: alignment of unattached lyrics - opinions needed
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 11:36:40 -0000

David Kastrup wrote Saturday, March 16, 2013 11:20 AM

> "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Ok, so I misremembered.  Behavior and its fine points are documented.  I
> am just skeptical that the selection of fine points is fine.  Do we
> really need a particular associated voice instead of being able to do
> this with general music column alignment?

Well, we need to be able to control the left/center alignment depending on
whether the syllable extends over several or just one note column, as
here:

>> Agreed.  Making the override work as might be expected in
>> <<
>>   { c'2 c' d' d' }
>>   \new Lyrics {
>>     \lyricmode  {
>>       \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #CENTER
>>       foo2 bar la mmm
>>     }
>>   }
>>>>
>> would be helpful, as Janek has suggested.

But in general it's easier to do this with an associated voice as the melismata
are then indicated without messing with overrides.

Trevor