Re: Allows slurs to break at barlines. (issue 7424049)

From: dak
Subject: Re: Allows slurs to break at barlines. (issue 7424049)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 02:24:23 +0000

On 2013/03/19 22:37:14, wl_gnu.org wrote:
>> After some consideration, I consider the name \broken suboptimal
since
>> it implies two pieces.  Two other possibilities would be \detached
and
>> \fake.
>
> I vote for detached.

I vote for \broken.  For me, it doesn't imply two pieces.  This was
David's first, quick suggestion, and I think it's good for exactly
this reason.

The first suggestion just picked this off the proposed music event name.
 Here is why I consider \fake or \detached better:

when I see \broken\< or \broken\!, this does not really help me figure
out where to use them.  \broken\! actually looks, uh, broken.  How do
you break an end spanner?

However, \fake\< or \fake\! immediately make clear that we are talking
about something still being used in the function of a starting and
ending spanner, respectively.  I like it somewhat better than \detached,
but of course the latter is a bit more dignified.  It's also longer.

https://codereview.appspot.com/7424049/