Re: shall we rename X-offset (and similar) to lowercase?

From: Joram Berger
Subject: Re: shall we rename X-offset (and similar) to lowercase?
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 19:03:46 +0100

Am 24.03.2013 12:34, schrieb David Kastrup:

>>> What about changing axis names as well?
>>
>> I'm all for it.
>
> Not really easy.  We have in C++ macros X Y LEFT RIGHT etc, and making
> them lowercase would heavily conflict with typical variable names.
> Making things different between C and Scheme here is definitely an
> option.  However, conflicts between variables x and y and X and Y are
> still very likely.  Granted: with lexical closure and without using
> things like the C preprocessor, the conflicts will tend to occur only
> locally.

Just one more opinion in the game:

In my opinion, it is more important to make things easy for users (more
than for developers). And here: x-offset or y-extent would feel more
consistent. Such things would not be called RIGHT-align, would they?
There is the constant UP, but in LilyPond code, the command is \stemUp
for example (and not \stemUP). So there is already a case conversion.

>From the programming point of view, I would keep constants in upper
case, resulting in this proposal from my side:
 x-offset, y-extent, … (changed)
 #UP, #LEFT, #X, … (as before)
 \stemUp, \slurDown, … (as before)

Not that I would insist on it. That's just my view on consistency.
In the end, Frescobaldi chooses the correct writing for me.

Cheers,
Joram