Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3266 in lilypond: \box overlaps

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3266 in lilypond: \box overlaps
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 07:06:48 +0100

2013/3/25  <address@hidden>:

> Comment #5 on issue 3266 by address@hidden: \box overlaps
> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3266
>
> Without the boxes, the nested braces look quite pretty to me, but I have no
> idea what musical meaning they are meant to convey.
>
> Version 2.14 and earlier used to space braces like 2.17.12 does.
>
> Ever since commit
>   75b6aae6 Date:   Tue Aug 23 10:28:03 2005 +0000
>      * mf/feta-beugel.mf (braces_per_font): make brace glyph align exactly
> to bbox.
> the right side of the bounding box has been at the reference point of the
> glyph.
>
> The braces do align correctly for nested staff-groups
>  \new GrandStaff << g'1
>  \new GrandStaff <<
>  \new GrandStaff << c'1 g'1 >> g'1 >> >>
>  \layout { \context { \GrandStaff \accepts GrandStaff }}

Sure.

> The markup-command \left-brace appeared in commit
>   dc1af73a Sat Aug 1 00:06:45 2009 +0100
>     New markup commands \left-brace and \right-brace.
> The command \left-brace *could* return a markup with dimensions more
> appropriate for use in markup.  ( I have no idea how braces are used in
> markup, though. )

I stumbled over it while working on a markup-command which should
display bar-lines. The idea is to have the possibillity to write:
\markup { "A SystemStart for PianoStaff looks like " \bar-line #"{|" }
During such work I'm used to use \box to visualize metrics, alignment,
translations etc.

> If we don't have an example where we know the desired output, let's mark
> this invalid.

Agreed.