Re: Be serious about setstrokeadjust in PostScript primitives (issue 866

From: dak
Subject: Re: Be serious about setstrokeadjust in PostScript primitives (issue 8663044)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 07:47:47 +0000

On 2013/04/25 03:10:59, Keith wrote:
LGTM,
if you really think masking the stem is a reliable solution.

AAAAahhahhahahahahahahahaha.

Of course I really don't think it a reliable solution.  I mean, look
at how ridiculous the code is: I am bending the mask away from the
stroke wherever possible exactly because the set of previewers and
renderers we are trying to placate is trying to sabotage the rendering
in any imaginable and unimaginable way.

The code is a piece of crock based on the principle "Anything that can
go wrong, will.  And then more.", and that's exactly what the
previewers are doing here.

I can totally and seriously improve the output for bitmap rendering
from Ghostscript: in case we are doing _bitmaps_, I can do all sort of
quantization tricks because then the device coordinate space is known.
So far, the code does not make any use of device coordinates.

And GSView would likely be able to use this sort of code.  For PDF,
this route is barred.

https://codereview.appspot.com/8663044/diff/31002/ps/music-drawing-routines.ps
File ps/music-drawing-routines.ps (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/8663044/diff/31002/ps/music-drawing-routines.ps#newcode107
ps/music-drawing-routines.ps:107: abs exch abs exch
If you still have reliable notes on the stack layout, a comment or two
would be
very nice, especially here as we go into the nested ifs.

The stack layout is pretty much trivial throughout.  At the beginning,
width and height are made non-negative, the coordinate system is reset
to make the inner box (sans linewidth) start at coordinates 0 0, and
the stack layout is

savedmatrix width height

pretty much everywhere.  The blot diameter is put into
currentlinewidth pretty much at the start.

Suggestions for a good comment?

https://codereview.appspot.com/8663044/