Re: Issue 3330: redo much of the stencil stacking/spacing/empty-check (i

From: dak
Subject: Re: Issue 3330: redo much of the stencil stacking/spacing/empty-check (issue 8869044)
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 08:14:16 +0000

On 2013/04/29 07:35:05, janek wrote:
On 2013/04/28 23:16:28, dak wrote:

ok, and i agree that adding a comment like this into the source may
not be a
good idea.  However, git commit message has a different purpose (to
myself at
least); i want to know why something changed.  When i'm searching
lilypond
history to learn something about the code i'm trying to modify, my
usual problem
is that i find a change and the commit message just says what changed
- it
doesn't answer my questions: "what was wrong with previous version?
Was this
just a cosmetic change that accidentally introduced a bug, or was some
other
design idea behind it?"
I'm pretty surprised by your opinion here since you always advocate
writing hows
and whys into commit messages.

Which is why the how and why is written in the commit message for the
changed behavior of Box where it belongs.

[...]
> type/precision than that stored in Interval, making the comparison
fail.  It's
> not like the C++ compiler would generate a lot of code here, and I
can
probably
> even leave off the set_empty as it should be the default.

ok.

Phrased differently, I was lazy and wanted to avoid looking every
implementation detail up in order to get this do the right thing because
I worked diligently rather than it getting to do the right thing as it
obviously can't do anything else.

But then if I am too lazy to look up every detail when writing, do I
really want the reader to have to look up every detail when reading
and/or debugging the code?

Better leave the stuff written in a manner where it's immediately
obvious that it does the right thing.

https://codereview.appspot.com/8869044/