Re: cc1plus warning

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: cc1plus warning
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 06:45:33 +0200

> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 01:48:26AM +0200, Mike Solomon wrote:
>> I'm getting the following warning compiling on my new mac :
>>
>> cc1plus: warning: command line option "-Wstrict-prototypes" is valid
>> for Ada/C/ObjC but not for C++
>>
>> Any ideas where that's coming from?
>
> I'm guessing that your new mac (running 10.8?) is using clang++.

We never got this to work I think, and it would hardly have a cc1plus
binary.

> Since most people build lilypond with g++ and each compilers
> handles arguments slightly differently, I'm not surprised this
> happened.
>
> Simple fix: do ../configure CXX=g++.  I'm almost positive that
> Apple still distributes gcc 4.2.1; it just isn't the default
> compiler any more.

address@hidden:/usr/local/tmp/lilypond$ g++ -Wstrict-prototypes -x c++ -c
/dev/null
cc1plus: warning: command line option ‘-Wstrict-prototypes’ is valid for C/ObjC
but not for C++ [enabled by default]
address@hidden:/usr/local/tmp/lilypond$ g++ --version
g++ (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.7.3-1ubuntu1) 4.7.3

Looks like we should get rid of that warning option.  It's not
apparently in our codebase, so it is likely introduced by autoconf.
Actually, I can't even find it in a work tree of mine when using plain
grep, so either Mike has a different autoconf, or it is implicitly
included for some reason by his g++.  At least on my version of g++, I
have not been able to trigger it by using -Wall.