Re: Problem with Ubuntu Raring Ringtail?

From: James
Subject: Re: Problem with Ubuntu Raring Ringtail?
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 14:08:11 +0100

hello,

On 27 May 2013 12:20, James <address@hidden> wrote:
David,

On 27 May 2013 12:17, James <address@hidden> wrote:
David,

On 27 May 2013 11:12, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
James <address@hidden> writes:

>     Ok, that's one data point for "amd64" architecture. Which is one
>     consolation.
>
>     I am using the i386 package myself, and uname -i returns i686
>     (probably
>     mostly relevant regarding kernel and libc6). So anybody else who
>     could
>     also check the situation regarding 32bit systems?
>
> Mine works too for 64 bit. Brand new clean install, sudo apt-get
> install lilypond

Good.  To make this reportable to the Ubuntu tracker, can you (or
somebody else) try the amd64 Ghostscript out with

ps2pdf toc.preview.eps

with the toc.preview.eps file at
<URL:https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ghostscript/+bug/1184386/+attachment/3687226/+files/toc.preview.eps>
Since I have been able to produce the problem with both 2.16.0 from
Ubuntu as well as current master, it is quite unlikely to make a
difference, but if we want to state "This problem does not happen with
amd64", we should start from the same test file and not depend on
LilyPond itself in this particular report.

> Success: compilation successfully completed
> --snip--
>
> I'll try 32 bit now.

This particular kind of problem/test is quite architecture dependent.
So it is not extraordinary that results on amd64 are different.  It will
be interesting to see how this fares.  Thanks for the checks: it will
make it a lot easier to decide how to proceed to get more data points.

32 bit fails

I should add that my 32 bit machine is virtual but, because of reasons too dull to go into here, has only 1 CPU and 1GB of RAM.

The 64 bit had 2 GB and 2 CPUs but again Virtual (different platform though)

I know that isn't much but we're not compiling here, we're just running LilyPond on a very small *.ly file.

Hope that helped.

I took a few minutes and went back to GS 9.06 and that seems to work.

James