Re: make error: please check usage.makeinfo.log for errors

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: make error: please check usage.makeinfo.log for errors
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 09:49:43 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>> I'm having trouble with make, I've never had this kind of problem.
>> Maybe some system update broke something?
>
> `Broken' is the wrong word, but ...
>
>> I'm on debian sid texinfo v5.1
>
> ... don't use version 5.1 but stay with version 4.13!
>
> All the error and warning messages you are getting deserve fixes, but
> given that 5.1 is about 20 or more times slower than 4.13, there's
> currently no gain to update.

Well, the Texinfo time is likely a minuscule fraction of the time needed
for building documentation with images.  But for a normal "make" which
builds documentation without images, the added time at the end is
already a slight nuisance now.  Factor 20 would definitely make this
larger.

Maybe Texinfo 5 would provide a better path into our indexing problems.
But that's pure speculation.