Re: maybe we could use blog.lilypond.org as the blog's address?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: maybe we could use blog.lilypond.org as the blog's address?
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 00:27:58 +0200

Am 06.06.2013 00:09, schrieb Janek Warchoł:
Hi,

from the previous discussion it seems that hosting our blog (currently
lilypondblog.wordpress.com) on the same server as our website would be
a bad idea and could lead to problems.  I stand corrected.

However, there seems to be another way of giving the blog a better
"home" without impacting the website itself: using blog.lilypond.org
subdomain. (keep in mind that i'm a noob wrt/ web hosting, so i may
confuse some things, sorry)

If i understand this correctly, the address of the blog would be
blog.lilypond.org, while the actual content and everything could be
hosted anywhere, for example on Urs' server.

Hmm, I'm not sure if we're talking about exactly the same thing here.
What I can offer is hosting a WordPress installation on my server. I just tried this for another site and it works without problems. If for any reason I should have to opt out it seems to be an easy process to move that complete installation to another server. What I don't know if my server is able to handle such a domain redirection transparently. AFAIK this is a two-way process. On lilypond.org's side one would have to edit the name servers so that the subdomain points to another server. My server would have to serve the page acting as 'blog.lilypond.org'. I don't know what technical requirements this imposes, but basically I don't expect my provider to support such a thing. Of course I can ask and they usually respond quickly and competently.

There's another thing I can throw into the discussion: blog.openlilylib.org.
www.openlilylib.org is a domain that I recently registered for a 'community' kind side-project to LilyPond. The current content of the web site is still a stub, but you can get a good impression what it will contain. It might be a good idea to associate a LilyPond blog with this domain because it's somewhat more community-like and informal than what is and should be on lilypond.org.

Urs

So, technically
speaking, lilypond.org website and the blog would be totally separate,
while from the reader's point of view they would be parts of the same
whole.  For me that sounds like a perfect solution.

What do you think about it?  Jan/Graham, would it be difficult to
create such subdomain for you?

best,
Janek