Re: Doc: Updated entry for LANG in Usage (issue 5490060)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Doc: Updated entry for LANG in Usage (issue 5490060)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 01:30:04 -0700

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 08:18:02AM +0000, address@hidden wrote:
> On 2011/12/17 14:20:44, Graham Percival wrote:
> >Try this:
>
> >git grep "share/lilypond"
>
> >apparently it's in the Learning manual, which is bad because it
> >should be covered in Usage.  or rather: it's ok to have it
> >discussed in Learning, but only as long as the "reference"
> >material is in Usage.
>
> >Could you fix this?  New section or subsection, maybe called
> >"Installed files", in Usage, with a "reference-style" discussion
> >of stuff that's in that part of Learning.
>
> Here's another old issue.  Graham, I don't understand what you wrote
> here, but if all we want is a relatively stable list of LANG options
> in the Usage manual here:

It's not that.  The question is "where are the predefined files
installed?".  Or, to give a concrete example, "where can I find
ly/property-init.ly ?"   Not the one in the developer git
repository, but when I type "lilypond foo.ly", precisely which
ly/property-init.ly is used?

I personally know that on most linux computers, the answer is
something like
/usr/local/lilypond/current/ly/property-init.ly
although on my personal computer it's
$HOME/.usr/lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/ly/property-init.ly
on OSX it's inside the app bundle.  No clue where it is on
windows, but presumably the blurb in the Learning Manual states
it.

The problem is that we shouldn't have any info in Learning that
isn't repeated elsewhere.

> ...we could just point the user to the ROADMAP file, or even better
> put a cross reference to
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/contributor/repository-directory-structure

Nah, that's info for developers, not users.  What I have in my git
repo has no influence on what the GUB-install lilypond binary
does.