Re: NR and headers

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: NR and headers
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 09:40:13 -0700

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 04:57:23PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> I'm doing my updates to Section 3 of the NR and correcting poor
> layout of headers and footers, and from my reading we don't have a
> guaranteed exhaustive list of all the variables usable in the header
> and footer.  Is that right?  It would seem useful.

Over the years, we've had a few attempts at creating such a thing
(either as a list or as an input file; I of course favour the
latter).  To my knowledge, they were never guaranteed to be
exhaustic (i.e. the relevant doc-writer, including me on at least
occasion, didn't dig through the scheme files), and were certainly
not maintained.

I agree that a guaranteed exhaustive input file showing all
headers and footers would be great.  Don't forget the work James
did on supporting multiple page sizes; we can easily show
multi-page headers/footers in the docs using papersize=a8 or =a6.