Re: Make format for key changes consistent; minor formatting corrections

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Make format for key changes consistent; minor formatting corrections for affected regtests (issue 10868043)
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 17:14:24 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> To: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 7:59 PM

address@hidden wrote Tuesday, July 02, 2013 1:07 PM

Ok, here is a true "can of worms" followup item: in the case where the
\key statement is followed by more material on the same line, it would
make sense to have a _double_ space before the following material.

git grep '\\key [a-z]\+ \\[a-z]\+ [^ {}]'

throws out a whole lot of candidates for that.  We don't do this sort of
double spacing with other constructs, but in the case of \major I find
the resulting progression in the line badly readable.

I agree the legibility of this example is bad, but rather than introducing
a double space I think I'd prefer to see any material following

\clef bass \key es \major

moved to a new line.  If the material contains notes, as it does in the
quoted example, then that would be definitely be my preference.

But as Phil suggests, this should be the subject of a new issue.

Trevor

I agree with and prefer the new line concept - that's certainly what I do. It would require an update to the style manual in the CG. We could consider broadening it to other divisions that should be on separate lines.

--
Phil Holmes