Vertical spacing tutorial

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Vertical spacing tutorial
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 14:54:42 +0100

We have http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2809. I'd like to make a start on this, but don't want to waste my time if I create what I think is a decent stab but no-one else agrees. My suggestion is that my final code will be:

\new Score {
 <<
   \new ChoirStaff \with {
     \override StaffGrouper.staffgroup-staff-spacing.basic-distance = #15
   }
   <<
     \new Staff {
       \new Voice = "music" {
         c'1 c' c'2 c'
       }
     }
\new Lyrics \with { \override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-relatedstaff-spacing.padding = #2 \override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-unrelatedstaff-spacing.padding = #2 }
     \lyricsto "music" {
       Some text as lyrics
     }
     \new Staff {
       \clef bass e'1 f e2 d
     }

\new PianoStaff \with { \override VerticalAxisGroup.staff-staff-spacing = #'(
                                 (basic-distance . 0)
                                 (padding . 1))
   }
   <<
     \new Staff {
       c''1 c'' c''2 c''
     }
     \new Staff {
       \clef bass e1 f e2 d
     }

}

Which will be built up from the vocal part, and then adjusting the spacing to the lyrics, adding the piano part and then pushing this further away and closing up the piano staves.

Does this seem like an acceptable approach for the LM?

--
Phil Holmes