Re: Adds dimension stencil command to correct with-dimension (issue 1295

From: dak
Subject: Re: Adds dimension stencil command to correct with-dimension (issue 12957047)
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 13:36:50 +0000

On 2013/08/24 13:19:30, mike7 wrote:

The question I'm asking is "How can I allow the user to replace the
skyline of a
stencil with another shape?"

I got that.  But what is the actual use case for that?  Before skylines
became a thing, you could override the X-extent or the Y-extent of
grobs, independently.  There were actual use cases for that with regard
to controlling the arrangement of marks and other things.

I repeat: isn't this interface at the same time unnecessarily general
and restricted? It will only ever do for replacing all four skylines at
once or none at all.  An override of four dimensions which can be +inf.0
or -inf.0 or #f (namely, just use the original skyline for this
dimension) for different effects seems to fit the known use cases
better.

You did not answer that question.  Instead you explained what the code
does.  Given the specificity of my question, I have a hard time
imagining what made you think I did not understand that when asking the
question.

https://codereview.appspot.com/12957047/